How Your Children Benefit From Paternity Establishment
Establishing paternity is an important first step in obtaining child support. In addition to providing the basis for obtaining support from the noncustodial parent, establishing paternity gives a child born to unmarried parents the legal rights and privileges of a child born within a marriage. Those rights and privileges may include:
- Support from both parents.
- Legal documentation of who his or her parents are.
- Access to family medical records. (Many diseases, illnesses, birth defects and other health problems are passed to children by their parents.)
- Medical and life insurance coverage from either parent, if available.
- Inheritance rights.
- Social Security and veterans` benefits, if available.
- Emotional benefits of knowing who both parents are.
Family Law Questions?
From adoption to divorce to custody and everything in between, our directory of family law attorneys can protect your interests.