What if the non-custodial parent has left the State?

If you know the state where the non­custodial parent has moved, CSED can contact the Child Support Enforcement Agency in the other state and determine if the parent has indeed moved to that state. If there is a confirmation, the case can be transferred to the other state. If you are not certain of the state where the non­custodial parent has moved, CSED can send a request to the Federal Parent Locator Service (FPLS). The FPLS has access to a number of records such as: The Department of Defense, the National Personnel Records Center, and the Social Security Administration to name a few. Beginning October 1, 1997, States began reporting newly hired employees to a National Directory of New Hires ­ which is now a part of the FPLS.

Speak to an Experienced Family Law Attorney Today

This article is intended to be helpful and informative. But even common legal matters can become complex and stressful. A qualified family lawyer can address your particular legal needs, explain the law, and represent you in court. Take the first step now and contact an attorney in your area from our directory to discuss your specific legal situation.

Your Next Step:

Enter your location below to get connected with a qualified Family Law attorney today.

Additional Family Law Articles