What Happens On Separation?
On separation all sorts of questions arise involving obligations and possible rights of the husband and wife, including:
- right to remain in the matrimonial home, with contents, regardless of ownership;
- division of family property and possible sale of items and division of proceeds;
- child custody and access (visitation rights);
- child and/or spousal support;
- other possible orders for the protection or safety of children or a spouse;
- as between the spouses, after separation, a spouse has the obligation to take all reasonable steps to become financially independent of the other spouse.