Skip to main content

Family Law

Search for an Attorney  

What are the Residency and Filing Requirements for Divorce in Connecticut?

Once residency is established in Connecticut, a divorce complaint can be filed. However, a divorce may only be granted if: (1) one of the parties has resided in Connecticut for 12 months; (2) one of the parties lived in Connecticut at the time the couple was married and intends to stay in Connecticut; or (3) the cause for divorce arose after the parties moved to Connecticut. (Connecticut Statutes Chapter 815j, Section 46b-44). A complaint for dissolution of marriage should be filed in Superior Court for the judicial district where either party resides. (Connecticut Statutes Chapter 815j, Section 46b-45).

Was this helpful?