How Do The Courts Handle Educational Degrees And Professional Licenses Acquired During The Marriage?

In California, if a spouse has earned a college degree or a professional license, the community estate is entitled to be reimbursed for the costs of acquiring the degree or license.

These costs are normally limited to such expenses as tuition, fees and books. Unlike other states, the other spouse does not receive any percentage of the enhanced earning ability of the spouse who acquired the degree or license.

Speak to an Experienced Family Law Attorney Today

This article is intended to be helpful and informative. But even common legal matters can become complex and stressful. A qualified family lawyer can address your particular legal needs, explain the law, and represent you in court. Take the first step now and contact an attorney in your area from our directory to discuss your specific legal situation.

Your Next Step:

Enter your location below to get connected with a qualified Family Law attorney today.

Additional Family Law Articles