As Soon As The Other Parent Is Notified About Enforcement, He/She Moves. How Will I Ever Be Able To Collect Child Support?

It is difficult to enforce child support payments when the other parent continually moves to avoid paying. You can help your case if, whenever you learn that the other parent has moved or has a new job, you provide this information to the FSD or local child support agency as soon as possible.

Since October 1, 1998 within 20 days of hire, all newly hired or rehired employees are reported to a state New Employee Registry and are forwarded to the National Directory of New Hires (NDNH). The reports are matched against all known case and member records throughout the entire United States. Therefore, if the other parent moves to another state and gains employment in that state within 30 days, the NDNH will notify all other states that have a case against the other parent. Once notified, the FSD or local child support agency, under state and federal guidelines, must obtain a wage assignment within a very short time frame.

Federal legislation (the Child Support Recovery Act of 1992) now enables criminal prosecution of a non­custodial parent if that parent lives in another state, territory or possession of the U.S., and if the case meets certain other criteria. The Deadbeat Parents Punishment Act of 1998 strengthens the previous 1992 legislation in regard to interstate cases of non­support or interstate flight to avoid a support obligation.

Speak to an Experienced Family Law Attorney Today

This article is intended to be helpful and informative. But even common legal matters can become complex and stressful. A qualified family lawyer can address your particular legal needs, explain the law, and represent you in court. Take the first step now and contact an attorney in your area from our directory to discuss your specific legal situation.

Your Next Step:

Enter your location below to get connected with a qualified Family Law attorney today.

Additional Family Law Articles