How Are Guardianship And Conservatorship Proceedings Commenced?

Proceedings are commenced when a petitioner files an application for the appointment of a guardian and/or conservator in the probate division of the circuit court in the county in which the minor or alleged incapacitated or disabled person (the respondent) resides. Attorneys must represent the petitioner and the respondent. After application is filed, the court will set a date for a hearing. In the case of a minor, notice of the application must be served before the hearing: upon the minor (if over the age of 14 years); his or her parents and spouse, if any; anyone having care and custody of the minor; and any agency charged with supervision, control or custody. In the case of an alleged incapacitated or disabled person, notice of the application must be served: upon the respondent; his or her spouse, parents, children or other close relative over the age of 18 years; any person acting in a representative capacity with respect to any of the respondent`s financial resources; and any person having care and custody of the respondent.

Speak to an Experienced Estate Planning Attorney Today

This article is intended to be helpful and informative. But even common legal matters can become complex and stressful. A qualified estate planning lawyer can address your particular legal needs, explain the law, and represent you in court. Take the first step now and contact a local estate planning attorney to discuss your specific legal situation.

Your Next Step:

Enter your location below to get connected with a qualified Estate Planning attorney today.

Additional Estate Planning Articles