Skip to main content

Estate Planning Law

Search for an Attorney  

What Should I Do With An Advance Directive After It Is Signed?

Give the original of a durable power of attorney for health care to the patient advocate (or at least make sure he or she knows where it is). Give a photo static copy to your doctor and keep a copy yourself. Keep the original of a living will. Give a copy to family members who are close to you, a friend and your doctor. Keep a list of these people. Have the doctor make the document or documents part of your medical record. If you enter a hospital or nursing home, try to see to it that the facility has a copy.