Who Can I Name As My Health Care Agent Or As My Attorney-In-Fact For Health Care Or As My Conservator?

You can name the same person to be your health care agent and as your attorney­in­fact for health care decisions or to be your conservator. The following persons cannot be named your health care agent: your physician if you are a patient at a hospital or nursing home or if you have applied for admission, the operators, administrators, and employees of the facility, an administrator or employee of a government agency responsible for paying for your medical care. Other than these restrictions, you can name anyone you feel is appropriate to serve as your health care agent. Although these restrictions only apply to the health care agent, it may be a good idea to follow them in deciding who should hold your durable power of attorney or be named as conservator. Of course, you should speak to the person whom you intend to name and be sure of his or her willingness to serve.

Speak to an Experienced Estate Planning Attorney Today

This article is intended to be helpful and informative. But even common legal matters can become complex and stressful. A qualified estate planning lawyer can address your particular legal needs, explain the law, and represent you in court. Take the first step now and contact a local estate planning attorney to discuss your specific legal situation.

Your Next Step:

Enter your location below to get connected with a qualified Estate Planning attorney today.

Additional Estate Planning Articles