Insurance Law

What Are The Requirements To Obtain A Kansas Resident Agent License?

New Resident Agent Licensing Requirements
In order to qualify as a Kansas resident insurance agent, you must satisfy the following requirements:

  • At least 18 years of age.
  • Submit the NAIC Uniform Application for Individual License to the Agents and Brokers Division; 420 S.W. Ninth Street; Topeka, KS 66612­1678. Applicants for a Crop, Title, Bail Bond, or Travel license should indicate the line being applied for below the matrix on page 2 of the Uniform Application.
  • Submit a $30 application fee (personal or business check, money order, or cashier’s check payable to the Kansas Insurance Department).
  • Provide a clearance letter if you hold a license from another state and are moving to Kansas.
  • Provide evidence of NASD registration if Variable Contracts authority is required.
  • Pass the appropriate license examination.

If the applicant has held an insurance agent’s license in another state, application forms, fees, and/or the agent’s license examination may be waived. Contact the Kansas Insurance Department for details.

When the license has been issued:

  • Obtain an errors and omissions policy in an amount of not less than $100,000 total liability limit per occurrence, subject to not less than $100,000 annual aggregate for all claims made during the policy period (100,000/$500,000 if covered under a blanket policy).
  • Secure company certification. Appointment is required by each company for which business is transacted.

Each resident agent may renew the license biennially. The biennial due date is the agent’s birth date in each odd year for agents born in an odd­numbered year or each even year for agents born in an even­numbered year. For newly licensed agents, such date shall not be earlier than two years from the date of the agent’s initial licensure.

Resident agents must submit proof of continuing education compliance and errors and omissions insurance by the biennial due date.