What If I Am Overpaid?

Occasionally, benefits are improperly paid. Overpayments may occur for a variety of reasons which may include, but are not limited to: claimant error, appeal reversals, fraud, failure to report earnings or income, or division errors. All overpaid benefits must be repaid to the division.

The division may withhold your weekly benefit entitlement and apply that amount to repay the overpayment. You may be eligible for a reduced weekly withholding. Contact the Benefit Payment Control Collections office at (775) 684­0475 to discuss your eligibility for this option. You may also apply for this option through the Telephone Claim Center.

If you feel that repaying the overpayment would cause you extreme hardship, you may request that the overpayment amount be waived. Waiver request must be in writing and include all financial and/or personal circumstances to support your claim of hardship.

Speak to an Experienced Employment Law Attorney Today

This article is intended to be helpful and informative. But even common legal matters can become complex and stressful. A qualified employment lawyer can address your particular legal needs, explain the law, and represent you in court. Take the first step now and contact an attorney in your area from our directory to discuss your specific legal situation.

Your Next Step:

Enter your location below to get connected with a qualified Employment Law attorney today.

Additional Employment Law Articles