Employment Law -- Employee

What Can I Do If I Am Denied Benefits?

You have the right to appeal a denial of benefits. Likewise, your employer may dispute your claim for benefits and appeal a determination made in your favor.

You will receive your “Notice of Disqualification” by mail. A request for a hearing must be made in writing within 10 days after the mailing date of the notice, which appears at the bottom of the disqualification notice. A late request for a hearing may be allowed if it is filed within a 30­day period after the disqualification notice, and if you can establish that there was “good cause” for the delayed request.

You will be mailed a “Notice of Hearing,” which includes important information regarding your appeal. The date, time and place of your hearing are on the notice, along with a description of the issues involved. In most cases a hearing will be the only opportunity you have to personally present evidence in support of your claim for UI benefits. The review examiner will base the decision solely on testimony and evidence presented at the hearing. For information on your hearing, call the Hearings Department automated information line at 617­626­6561.

If you are disqualified at the hearings level, you have the right to appeal to the independent Board of Review. Information on Board appeals will be included with your hearings decision. If you disagree with the Board’s decision, you have the right to appeal to your local district court.