How Is My Benefit Amount Calculated?

If you have sufficient earnings from insured work to establish benefits, you will be entitled to receive benefits for weeks you are either totally or partially unemployed and meet all requirements. The amount you can receive is based upon the wages you earned during your base period. Your base period is the 12­month period consisting of the first four of the last five completed calendar quarters before the beginning date of your claim. To qualify for a claim, you must have wages in at least two of the four base period calendar quarters and your total wages in your base period must be at least thirty times your calculated weekly benefit amount.

To calculate your weekly benefit amount, multiply your highest base period quarter wages by 4.25 percent. If the amount is higher than the current statutory maximum weekly benefit amount, the maximum weekly benefit amount becomes your weekly benefit amount. To calculate your total benefit amount, a) multiply your weekly benefit amount times 26; and b) divide the total of the base period wages by three. Your total benefit amount is the lesser of these two amounts. The total amount of benefits available to you cannot exceed 26 times your weekly benefit amount. This means that your benefits will end when all benefits are paid, even if your benefit year hasn’t ended.

Speak to an Experienced Employment Law Attorney Today

This article is intended to be helpful and informative. But even common legal matters can become complex and stressful. A qualified employment lawyer can address your particular legal needs, explain the law, and represent you in court. Take the first step now and contact an attorney in your area from our directory to discuss your specific legal situation.

Your Next Step:

Enter your location below to get connected with a qualified Employment Law attorney today.

Additional Employment Law Articles

Search LawInfo's Employment Law Resources


The information on this page is meant to provide a general overview of the law. The laws in your state and/or city may deviate significantly from those described here. If you have specific questions related to your situation you should speak with a local attorney.