Is A Work Permit Required For Employment Of A Minor?

Minors under the age of 18 must obtain a work permit before beginning a job. Exceptions include: newspaper carriers, golf caddies, domestic service workers, entertainers, and farm laborers. You must get an Intention to Employ/A­1 Form from the issuing officer at the school you attend. Your must then get the signature of your employer and your parent or guardian; take the Intention to Employ/A­1 form, along with proof of age, to the issuing officer and the work permit will be issued. Only one work permit can be issued to a teen at a time. Each work permit is issued for a specific employer. An issuing officer may not issue a subsequent work permit until a termination notice has been received on the initial work permit or the issuing officer has otherwise determined that the teen’s employment has been terminated. The issuing officer may deny a work permit to a teen whose attendance is not in good standing, as determined by the school; or whose academic performance does not meet the school’s standards. The denial of a work permit may be appealed to the principal of the school. Teens 16 or 17 years of age that have graduated from high school or have received a General Educational Development (GED) diploma are not required to obtain a work permit.

Speak to an Experienced Employment Law Attorney Today

This article is intended to be helpful and informative. But even common legal matters can become complex and stressful. A qualified employment lawyer can address your particular legal needs, explain the law, and represent you in court. Take the first step now and contact an attorney in your area from our directory to discuss your specific legal situation.

Your Next Step:

Enter your location below to get connected with a qualified Employment Law attorney today.

Additional Employment Law Articles