How Do I File For Unemployment Insurance Benefits?

You can file a new claim for unemployment insurance benefits, reopen an existing claim, and claim weekly benefits by calling the telephone filing system, “Hawaii Tele­Claim.” If you are in the State of Hawaii, call 643­5555 or 1­877­215­5793 toll free if you are outside of Hawaii. You can call Hawaii Tele­Claim, Sunday through Thursday from 6:30 am to 12:00 am, and Friday from 6:30 am to 4:30 pm, Hawaii Standard Time.

When you call Hawaii Tele­Claim, you need to have your social security number, and if you are not a U.S. citizen, you need your alien registration number available. You will need to provide information for all your employers during the past 18 months, such as the employer's name, address, zip­code, phone number, dates of employment, and reason for separation. If you were in the military in the past 18 months, you should have your DD­214 (Member 4) available. If you worked for the federal government in the past 18 months, you should have your Standard Form 8 available. (If you do not have your Standard Form 8, you should have your Standard 50 or pay stubs available.)

Your claim begins from the Sunday of the week in which it is filed. If you delay and do not file immediately, you will not receive credit for past weeks. Your claim will start only from the week in which you file.

You must file a continued claim for each week that you wish to receive benefits and the continued claim must be filed on time (within 7 days after the period being claimed, or within 14 days with good cause for late filing).

If you cannot file your claim by telephone, you can report in­person to your nearest local office to file a claim in person.

Speak to an Experienced Employment Law Attorney Today

This article is intended to be helpful and informative. But even common legal matters can become complex and stressful. A qualified employment lawyer can address your particular legal needs, explain the law, and represent you in court. Take the first step now and contact an attorney in your area from our directory to discuss your specific legal situation.

Your Next Step:

Enter your location below to get connected with a qualified Employment Law attorney today.

Additional Employment Law Articles