Employment Law -- Employee

Are Unemployment Benefits Taxable?

Any unemployment insurance benefits you receive are taxable income. You will be issued Form 1099G at the end of January showing the amount of benefits paid to you. The 1099G is not reduced by any repayments you may have made for overpaid benefits. Therefore, if you repaid any benefits, you must maintain your record of payments, such as receipts, cancelled checks, and billing statement to make adjustments to your taxable income and as documentation for the federal Internal Revenue Service and the State Tax office when you file your tax returns. Contact a claims office if you did not keep receipts and need assistance in furnishing documentation for tax purposes.