Employment Law -- Employee

How Do I Find Out That A Former Employee Has Filed A Claim For Unemployment Compensation?

Once an initial claim is filed, a request for separation information is mailed to the last (30­day) employer. The employer should return this form within seven calendar days to the address listed on the form. If the reason for separation is other than lack of work, full details must be provided. The last employer may also be contacted by phone by a Claims Examiner with regard to the claimant’s separation. This is normally done to clarify information provided on the returned separation report. In addition to receiving the request for separation information form, the last employer will also receive a copy of the Claimant’s Monetary Determination. This form indicates the claimant’s weekly benefit amount and the maximum amount that he/she may potentially collect. Employers for whom a claimant has worked during his/her base period will also receive a notification that an initial claim has been filed. This form will indicate the base period wages reported by the employer, the percentage of total benefits that may be charged to the employer and the total potential maximum charge. Employers should review this form carefully to ensure that base period wage information is correct. If the base period wages do not agree with quarterly wages previously reported on the quarterly/annual payroll report submitted to the Department of Employment Services, or if the employer has no record of the individual having ever been an employee, the employer should notify the office indicated on the form.