Are Minors Prohibited From Any Specific Jobs?
In California no worker under 18 may:
- Drive a motor vehicle on public streets as part of the job
- Drive a forklift
- Use powered equipment like a circular saw, box crusher, meat slicer, or bakery machine
- Work in wrecking, demolition, excavation, or roofing
- Work in logging or a sawmill
- Handle, serve, or sell alcoholic beverages
- Work where there is exposure to radiation
Also, no one 14 or 15 years old may:
- Do any baking or cooking on the job (except cooking at a serving counter)
- Work in dry cleaning or a commercial laundry
- Do building, construction, or manufacturing work
- Load or unload a truck, railroad car, or conveyor
- Work on a ladder or scaffold
For additional information on the types of work that minors are permitted to engage in, you can review and/or download the Child Labor Law Pamphlet 2000 .