How Do I Qualify For Benefits?

Crewmembers with injury or illness directly connected to operations as a commercial fisherman must hold valid commercial fishing licenses or limited entry permits before the time of injury or illness to qualify for benefits. Onset of injury or illness must be onshore in Alaska or on Alaska waters. Initial treatment must be received within 60 days after onset of injury or illness. An application must be submitted within one (1) year after initial treatment. Finally, each treatment must be documented by a medical chart note and submitted.

Two reports must be completed including Fisherman’s Report of Injury or Illness and Physician’s Report of Injury or Illness. The fisherman and physician must each fully complete their respective report. These two reports need be completed only once, by the fisherman upon his initial treatment, and by the initial treating physician.

For further information on what is and is not covered under the Fisherman’s Fund, click here

Speak to an Experienced Employment Law Attorney Today

This article is intended to be helpful and informative. But even common legal matters can become complex and stressful. A qualified employment lawyer can address your particular legal needs, explain the law, and represent you in court. Take the first step now and contact an attorney in your area from our directory to discuss your specific legal situation.

Your Next Step:

Enter your location below to get connected with a qualified Employment Law attorney today.

Additional Employment Law Articles