Right to Vote Law

Can I vote in the state of California if I am in the military or living overseas?

You must have been a resident of the state of California just prior to leaving the United States in order to be eligible to vote in a federal election. You can register to vote and request a vote-by-mail ballot by completing the Federal Postcard Application (FPCA), which is available at any military installation through the Voting Assistance Officer, any U.S. embassy or consulate, or online through the Federal Voting Assistance Program website. Additionally, these voters are permitted to apply for a special vote-by-mail ballot by fax through their county elections offices, and can even return their ballots by fax. Voters who are overseas will be automatically deemed to have applied for permanent vote-by-mail status, as well.