Skip to main content

Child Support Law

Search for an Attorney  

Ors/Css Says I Owe More Than I Think I Do. What Can I Do To Correct This?

As the person owing support, the burden of proof is yours to dispute the amount of child support the custodial parent is claiming is owing or the amount ORS/CSS states you have paid. This can be done by providing proof of payment, such as canceled checks. It is also your responsibility to provide ORS/CSS with proof of income, proof of medical insurance and any changes to your address or employer information. Prior to any administrative action to collect support, ORS/CSS will send you an Annual Notice of Past­due Child Support, or other document that outlines how and when you can dispute the alleged facts of your case, including the amount of support owed. Again, the most important thing for you to remember is do not ignore ORS/CSS correspondence. Failure to respond could result in collection actions, such as your Federal and State tax refunds being intercepted, or withholding up to 65% of your disposable income. Whenever you have a question or concern about your case, immediately contact the person listed on the ORS notice, or call the Customer Service Unit in the ORS office nearest to you.