Skip to main content

Child Support Law

Search for an Attorney  

Who Establishes Support Orders?

The Child Support office or a parent may ask the court to issue a support order. The support order may be part of an interim, temporary, permanent or modified court order in a divorce, paternity action, order for protection, child custody action or separate child support action. The court generally orders the noncustodial parent to provide support for the child who is living with the other parent or another person. The court sets the amount of child support and medical support a parent must provide.