What Can I Do If My Spouse Refuses To Pay Support?

You can make your spouse appear before the court. Once there, the judge may find your spouse in contempt of court and your spouse may be put in jail or fined. The judge may issue a wage assignment and garnish your spouse’s paycheck. In doing so, then the support payments are taken directly out of your spouse’s paycheck. The court may also levy or take your spouse’s property such as real estate or bank accounts. In addition, if your spouse fails to pay child support for one year or more or the amount of back support owed is greater than $5,000.00 or your spouse has moved outside of Oklahoma, the District Attorney’s Office may file criminal charges.

Speak to an Experienced Child Support Attorney Today

This article is intended to be helpful and informative. But even common legal matters can become complex and stressful. A qualified child support lawyer can address your particular legal needs, explain the law, and represent you in court. Take the first step now and contact a local child support attorney to discuss your specific legal situation.

Your Next Step:

Enter your location below to get connected with a qualified Child Support attorney today.

Additional Child Support Articles