I Need To Establish Paternity For My Child, And The Father Lives In Another Part Of The Country. How Does This Work?

Because state paternity laws vary widely, it can be difficult to establish paternity across state lines. Most states have either a long­arm statue or other laws such as UIFSA that enable them to establish jurisdiction over the alleged father in another state, or refer the case for prosecution in the state where the father lives. If an attempt is being made to establish paternity according to the laws of the other state, the UIFSA petition sent to the state must include all the information required by the laws of that state. Frequently, genetic tests will be ordered to help the court in the other state determine paternity. Ask your caseworker about specific information about the laws in your state and the state where the other parent lives.

Speak to an Experienced Child Support Attorney Today

This article is intended to be helpful and informative. But even common legal matters can become complex and stressful. A qualified child support lawyer can address your particular legal needs, explain the law, and represent you in court. Take the first step now and contact a local child support attorney to discuss your specific legal situation.

Your Next Step:

Enter your location below to get connected with a qualified Child Support attorney today.

Additional Child Support Articles