Can One Parent Be Ordered To Pay Child Support Even If She Never Married The Other (Custodial) Parent?

Yes. Child support is payable from one parent to the other for a common child, regardless of the marital status of the parents. This is very common in a paternity action, whether or not the issues of parentage, child visitation, child custody, and child support are resolved. Paternity actions to recover the cost to government for payment of Aid to Families with Dependent Children (AFDC or welfare) are commonly brought by local government agencies (such as the Office of the District Attorney) throughout the country to hold a parent responsible for child support, even when s/he has never been married to the other parent.

Speak to an Experienced Child Support Attorney Today

This article is intended to be helpful and informative. But even common legal matters can become complex and stressful. A qualified child support lawyer can address your particular legal needs, explain the law, and represent you in court. Take the first step now and contact a local child support attorney to discuss your specific legal situation.

Your Next Step:

Enter your location below to get connected with a qualified Child Support attorney today.

Additional Child Support Articles

Related Topics In This Section