What Happens When A Custodial Parent Assigns His/Her Right To Support?

Effective October 1, 1998, a condition of receiving CalWORKS benefits, the custodial party temporarily assigns to the county all support owed prior to receiving aid and permanently assigns to the county support that is owed while on aid. The assignment of support rights continues as long as a family is receiving aid. If you were on aid before October 1, 1998, support that was assigned to the county remains assigned after October 1, 1998. Once the family is no longer aided, the temporary assignment ends, except when a federal tax intercept collection is made.

By law, CalWORKS recipients must cooperate with the FSD or local child support enforcement agency.

Speak to an Experienced Child Support Attorney Today

This article is intended to be helpful and informative. But even common legal matters can become complex and stressful. A qualified child support lawyer can address your particular legal needs, explain the law, and represent you in court. Take the first step now and contact a local child support attorney to discuss your specific legal situation.

Your Next Step:

Enter your location below to get connected with a qualified Child Support attorney today.

Additional Child Support Articles