Skip to main content

Child Support Law

Search for an Attorney  

Opening A Child Support Case

Before you go to the FSD or local child support agency, try to gather and bring as much of the following information as possible:

Both parent`s:

  • Full legal name, address and phone number.
  • Date of birth and most current physical description or photograph of the non­custodial parent.
  • Social Security Number (you can find this by reviewing old pay stubs, income tax returns, credit or loan applications, bank checking or savings accounts, insurance or health records, or military or union records. If you don`t have one of these documents, but your name was also on the original form you can usually obtain a copy by writing to the appropriate agency.)
  • Name and address of current or most recent employer.
  • Child(ren)`s birth certificate(s).
  • Names of friends and relatives and organizations to which the non­custodial parent might belong.
  • Information pertaining to income and other assets (pay slips, tax returns, bank accounts, cars, boats, RVs, investments or property holdings).
  • Child support order, if you have one.
  • Marriage license or certificate, if you have one.
  • Divorce decree or separation agreement, if you have one.
  • Any other information the FSD or local child support agency request.