Collecting Child Support Across State Lines

To collect support from an out­of­state parent, the FSD or local child support enforcement agency will either refer your case to the other state for assistance or it will enforce the order locally, depending upon information available and the laws of the other state. When a case is referred to another state, it may take six to nine months, and possibly longer, for a custodial parent to receive support. The other state may not be able to serve notice on the non­custodial parent due to incorrect address information. If a hearing is necessary, it may take a while to get a court date. Custodial parents can help speed up the process by keeping in touch with the FSD or local child support agency and providing any new information about the non­custodial parent.

The Uniform Interstate Family Support Act (UIFSA), went into effect in January 1998. UIFSA is a comprehensive act that focuses on the interstate establishment, modification and enforcement of child support obligations. Many of UIFSA`s provisions contain new solutions to interstate child support problems. UIFSA also expands the ability of states to enforce interstate child support locally.

Speak to an Experienced Child Support Attorney Today

This article is intended to be helpful and informative. But even common legal matters can become complex and stressful. A qualified child support lawyer can address your particular legal needs, explain the law, and represent you in court. Take the first step now and contact a local child support attorney to discuss your specific legal situation.

Your Next Step:

Enter your location below to get connected with a qualified Child Support attorney today.

Additional Child Support Articles