Child Support Law

The Noncustodial Parent Refuses To Pay Child Support, But Owns A Good Deal Of Property In The State. Can A Lien Be Issued?

Yes, but you must remember a lien on property does not by itself result in the immediate collection of any money. It only stops the owner from selling, transferring, or borrowing against the property until the child support debt is paid. However, the presence of a property lien may motivate the noncustodial parent to pay the past­due support in order to keep the title to the property clear.