What Are My Options For Action Under The Lemon Law?

If your manufacturer either fails to make a final attempt to repair the defect, or if the defect still exists after such an attempt, you may seek to receive a replacement vehicle or a refund via the following options:

Manufacturer­Sponsored Arbitration: If the manufacturer has a dispute settlement procedure that complies with Federal Trade Commission regulations, the law requires that you utilize such a procedure before you may file a lawsuit under the Lemon Law.

Arbitration, also known as informal dispute settlement, is an informal process consumers may use to obtain speedy resolution of a warranty dispute without having to go to court, and it is legally binding on the manufacturer. At an arbitration hearing, the seller and buyer testify before an arbitrator about the condition of the vehicle.

You can find out if your manufacturer sponsors a certified arbitration program by reading the information accompanying your warranties, asking your dealer for information, or by contacting the Rhode Island Office of the Attorney General.

Court Action: If the manufacturer does not have a certified arbitration program, or if you have rejected the decision of a certified program, you may file a lawsuit against the manufacturer in court.

If you are seeking court action, you should consult an attorney.

You must file a lawsuit under the Lemon Law within three years of date of delivery, or within two years after your vehicle reached 15,000 miles.

If the court finds in your favor, you may be reimbursed for any reasonable attorney`s fees.

Speak to an Experienced Lemon Law Attorney Today

This article is intended to be helpful and informative. But even common legal matters can become complex and stressful. A qualified lemon lawyer can address your particular legal needs, explain the law, and represent you in court. Take the first step now and contact a local lemon attorney to discuss your specific legal situation.

Your Next Step:

Enter your location below to get connected with a qualified Lemon Law attorney today.

Additional Lemon Law Articles