Is My Vehicle Covered Under The Lemon Law?
Your vehicle may be covered if it is:
- a new car, including a demonstrator model. This also includes a car transferred to a second purchaser while the manufacturer`s written warranty is still in effect.
- purchased or leased in Hawaii
- used primarily for personal, family, or household purposes or individually registered but used for business purposes and for personal, family, or household purposes or owned or leased by a business which has purchased or leased no more than one car per year, used for household, individual, or personal use in addition to business use
Your vehicle is NOT covered if it is:
- a moped, motorcycle, or motor scooter
- a vehicle over 10,000 pounds, gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR)*
* GVWR is the maximum loaded weight of the vehicle as specified by the manufacturer. The GVWR can be found on the sticker that is placed on the driver side door jamb. The GVWR is not the weight of the vehicle as stated on your registration.
The following table is a quick summary of what is covered, how many times the vehicle has to be repaired for the same defect and the warranty period.
|Vehicles Covered||Repair Interval and Coverage Period|
|A selfpropelled vehicle primarily designed for the transportation of persons or property over public streets and highways which is used primarily for personal, family, or household purposes. Does not include mopeds, motorcycles, or motor scooters, or vehicles over 10,000 pounds GVW.||1 repair attempt for a defect that might cause death or serious injury or 3 repair attempts or 30 business days out of service.|
|Warranty period: 2 years or 24,000 miles.|