40 Years of Trusted Estate Planning and Business Law
Seaman & Seaman is a Law Corporation with over 40 years of trusted estate planning and business law experience. At Seaman & Seaman, we specialize in estate planning, trusts, wills and probate, business formations and transactions, and tax matters. We take pride in providing effective, professional and personalized service in a low-key atmosphere. As probate attorneys, we understand that every client is unique. We will listen to you first to understand your needs and concerns—based on that knowledge and our decades of experience, our attorneys can provide the expert guidance and most appropriate legal services in a timely and efficient manner, based on your particular requirements. Let us assist you in the following areas:
- Living Trusts
- A well drafted Trust can serve a variety of legal, personal, and tax planning purposes. For most clients, a Trust serves as a vehicle to transfer assets to the persons or entities of their choosing, while avoiding the timely and costly process of probate.
- If the gross value of your assets are under $150,000.00, a Will may be the appropriate vehicle to insure that your assets pass according to your desires. A Will also allows you to designate a Guardian for your minor children.
- Special Needs Trusts
- Specialized estate planning is needed when providing for a child or loved one with special needs. Despite good intentions, a direct bequest to a person with special needs may disqualify them from receiving essential benefits through Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and Medicaid programs. A Special Needs Trust will protect government benefit eligibility, while at the same time providing assets that will meet the supplemental needs of the person with a disability.
- IRA Inheritance Trusts
- Many clients hold a majority of their assets in retirement accounts. On June 12, 2014, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in Clark v. Rameker that inherited individual retirement accounts (IRAs) are not protected from creditors in bankruptcy when inherited by someone other than the decedent's spouse. In order to insulate your retirement accounts, our attorneys can draft an IRA Inheritance Trust to enhance the protection of your beneficiaries' inheritance and help stretchout the required minimum distributions.
- Probate Administration
- Probate, simply defined is the transfer of ownership to heirs and beneficiaries, as well as payments to creditors of a decedent, which is all overseen by a Probate Court. This process is timely and requires multiple filings with the Probate Court. Our attorneys can manage all of the details of the Probate proceedings with compassion and professionalism.
- Post Death Administration
- The post death trust administration duties for a successor Trustee can be simple for a small estate, or more complicated when the estate is large or complex. In either event, working with an attorney that understands the trust administration process can make managing business and legal affairs while bearing the emotional stress and distraction of grieving the loss of a loved one easier.
- Business Formation
- Business formations have important consequences for the individuals involved in terms of liability, asset protection and taxation. It is critical to engage an experienced business law attorney that has the expertise and skills to provide you with knowledgeable insights into the pros and cons of each structure, so you can make well informed decisions.
Call Seaman & Seaman today at 916-484-7084 to arrange your initial consultation.
Attorney Anne Rosenthal
Anne Rosenthal focuses her practice on wills, trusts, estates and business succession strategies, as well as charitable and special needs planning. Ms. Rosenthal has taken a special interest in complex post death administrations and multigenerational wealth planning. An attorney with Seaman & Seaman since 2013, she feels fortunate to be a part of a firm where she is able to assist clients of multiple generations navigate the ever changing world of estate planning to ensure the best possible results for their families and businesses.
- Columbus SOL, J.D. 2012
- American University, B.A.
Professional Memberships and Achievements:
- Women Lawyers of Sacramento