LawInfo Legal Marketing
Insider Tips: Search Engine Optimization for Attorneys (SEO)
What is SEO?
Search Engine Optimization (“SEO”) is the process of optimizing your website with the goal of making it rank well on the search engines. Companies that can successfully obtain top positioning in the search engines receive increased exposure, and ultimately more visitors.
Why Should I Invest in an SEO Strategy?
- SEO is the only way to get found online organically by your target market
- Successful SEO means more visibility, more visitors, more leads
- Your competition is already performing SEO, and you don’t want to fall behind
How Do I know if My Site is Search Engine Optimized?
Is your website ranking well in Google? Is your website on the first results page when you type in your specialty and city? If not, then chances are your website is not SEO friendly.
Go to your website and try this:
Go to your homepage and right click the mouse and select ‘view page source.’ At the top of the new window you should see the terms ‘description’ and ‘keywords’ and their proceeding text. It should look something like this:
- If your website has no description or keywords than you need to optimize those fields immediately
- If your website has a description and keywords make sure they are optimized to your business (see below for details on this optimization)
Easy Tips for Search Engine Optimization
Optimize your Website URL
Example: For an attorney named John Doe who practices divorce law, an ideal website URL would be:
www.MiamiDivorceAttorney.com or www.DivorceAttorneyDoe.com
Ensure the home page has a Title Tag. The title tag is the top line of your result on a search engine results page. It is best to have a unique title for all pages on your website.
Below is the LawInfo home page title tag:
Attorneys | Lawyers | Attorney Directory | Attorney Search – LawInfo
Verify there is a Description listed for every page of your website. Each page should have its own unique description.
Example: “Miami Divorce Attorney John Doe has practiced law for the last 25 years. Florida lawyer with experience in high profile divorce cases.”
The current LawInfo Home Page Description is shown in the image above, below the title tag.
Verify there are keywords listed for every page of your website. Important: Only list keywords that are present in the content of your website.
John Doe’s optimized keywords are – “Miami divorce attorney, Miami lawyer, divorce lawyer, Florida attorney, attorney Doe, attorney John Doe, experienced divorce attorney, high profile divorce attorney.”
- Website Content and Keywords need to be optimized for users searching for attorneys. Your website content should include all your practice locations, your specialties, and all other key terms. Think about what keywords or phrases your clients will use to search for you and incorporate that into your content. For example, using the keywords from #4 above, if those are the keywords you would like to target then you need to incorporate them into the content on your home page and subsequent pages. If you offer free consultations or free case evaluations make sure those phrases are listed on your home page.
Add “Alt tags” to all Images and Videos. Images and videos are extremely important for SEO. Alt text is a description of the image or video. Make sure the Alt text is descriptive and has at least one keyword.
Example: For a self portrait the Alt text should be: John Doe, Miami Florida Divorce Attorney.
Optimize your website’s URL Structure. Website URLs are important to your SEO strategy because they help the Search Engines find your website and they also help users find what they’re looking for. Take a look at your URL structure – it should resemble:
www.miamidivorceattorney.com – if you click on any link on the homepage the URL will change.
A non-optimized URL structure may look like this:
An optimized URL would instead look like this:
Both URLs take you to the same page, however the second URL is easier to read and understand, thus better for SEO and the search engines.
Get listed in Google and Bing’s Local Business Listings. Local business listings are part of an overall SEO strategy.
To read more about Google Places Business listings click here: Google Places: Optimization Tips.
To register for Bing Local Business Center: Bing Local Business
This tip is an SEO and User experience must. Your Website should be treated like your office. Your website is the first thing a potential client sees. Your website should have a good SEO strategy and look professional at the same time.
Take a look at your website, are you impressed? Compare your office to your website- do you have awards and credentials around your office? Are those same awards listed on your website?
Your website should include keyword rich content that is easy to read, detailed practice information, images and video, awards and credentials, success stories and testimonials, verbiage for Free Consultation or Free Case Evaluation, links to social media, blogs, or partnerships, and a clutter free layout/design.
A website is a very important investment. When constructed properly with SEO in mind, your website can serve to engage more potential clients, and ultimately help turn them into paying clients.
- Verify that your website has been submitted to the major search engines (Google, Bing, and Yahoo!)